Ruins of an old mosque and its minaret can still be seen in the village.
The district came under the rule of Maratha Empire in the 1750s and later part of Mysore Kingdom, who ceded it to the British at the conclusion of the Fourth Mysore War in 1799.
It was initilally part of Kanara district in Madras Presidency.
The British finally transferred Uttara Kannada district to Bombay Presidency in 1862.
After India's independence in 1947, Bombay Presidency was reconstituted as Bombay State.
In 1956 the southern portion of Bombay State was added to Mysore State, which was renamed Karnataka in 1972.
Uttara Kannada was an ancient site of sea trade visited by the Arabs, Dutch, Portuguese, French and later the British.
North Canara is a district in the Indian state of Karnataka.
It is bordered by the state of Goa and Belgaum District to the north, Dharwad District and Haveri District to the east, Shimoga District and Udupi District to the south and the Arabian Sea to the west.
The city of Karwar city is the administrative headquarters of the district and Developing city.
Sirsi, Dandeli and Bhatkal are the other major developing cities of the district.
The first known dynasty from Uttar Kannada District are Chutus of Banavasi.